Two chemists on Broad Street.
John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins went into partnership on 1 January 1823 as chemists and druggists in Worcester. Their catalogue that January ran to more than three hundred items, and three of them were anchovies, tamarinds and India soy: the eventual ingredients were on the shelves fourteen years before the sauce.
By 1837 the partners held three shops in the city. That is the year the firm gives for commercialisation.
A High Court judgment of 26 July 1876 put it at about 1836. The earliest independent proof is an advertisement in the Manchester Guardian of 17 October 1840, page one, which opens by conceding the obvious: so many sauces, under every variety of name, have been of late contending for public favour, that we have hesitated to extend beyond our own vicinity the introduction of a new one.
The river, the brine and the vinegar.
Worcester holds the major crossing of the Severn, the longest river in Britain and by some distance the fullest in England and Wales. The tide itself stops far downstream at Gloucester, but on the biggest tides the bore reaches this far in a much reduced form, and the water at the foot of the weir at Worcester lifts a foot or so. Seven miles north-east at Droitwich the brine lies about two hundred feet down and comes up already saturated, carrying two and a half pounds of salt to the imperial gallon, ten times the strength of seawater and rivalled only by the Dead Sea.
The Romans called the place Salinae. King John granted its charter on 1 August 1215.
A few streets from the chemists' shop, two other Worcester chemists, William Hill and Edward Evans, began making malt vinegar in 1830. Their Great Filling Hall of 1850 held the largest vat in the world: thirty-nine feet high, 521,287 litres. A vinegar-heavy sauce did not appear here by accident.
Made by chemists, left in cask, and named for a county the makers lost in court.
Time in cask, and the cracked corn.
The sauce was never cooked. It was macerated, and then it was left alone. The Times of 8 June 1914 records the practice without ceremony: before being bottled, the sauce is allowed to mature in barrels in the cellars of the factory.
A 1970 account describes vaults of maturing barrels carrying the atmosphere of a winery, belied only by the smell of vinegar and spices, and says the sauce is matured in oak hogsheads. The familiar tale of a first batch so foul it was abandoned in the cellar and rediscovered later appears in no document before that same 1970 book, whose author thanks a Mr Lea for his assistance. Even there the barrel is only forgotten for some years; the eighteen months now always quoted was fixed on afterwards.
The ageing is documented. The anecdote is company lore. Pepper keeps its own clock: the nineteenth-century ingredient sheets list peppers by the pound, and cracked pepper tastes unlike ground because the terpenes evaporate quickly once the corn is broken and leave the piperine behind.
The nobleman who arrived in 1884.
Everyone knows a nobleman brought the recipe home from Bengal. The name fixed to him, Lord Sandys of Ombersley Court, six miles north of the city, first reaches print on 9 February 1884, forty-four years after the first advertisement. No Baron Sandys was ever Governor of Bengal, and the historian who catalogued the firm's own surviving papers could find no record of any of them in India.
As late as 1857 Blackwood's was writing of the nobleman who had declined the immortality of the association, which is to say nobody yet had a name to print. The oldest surviving origin story is stranger and better. The novelist Mrs Grey was staying at Ombersley when Lady Sandys wished aloud for good curry powder.
Mrs Grey had a recipe in her desk, brought from India by her uncle. The chemists made up the powder. Somebody thought afterwards that it might, in solution, make a sauce.